Wednesday, January 17, 2007

losing my religion...


The issue of faith has been coming up a lot in my life lately. As a life-long Episcopalian, baptised, confirmed and married in the church, I have always had more liberal views of God and religion. The more questions I have had about what exactly I do believe, the more unsure I am of whether there is really a church "home" for me anymore.

I don't believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God. I don't believe in a malicious, wrathful, vengeful God. I don't believe that we are born of sin, or that un-Baptised infants will languish in Hell if they die. I don't believe that Jews, or Muslims, or Buddhists, or Hindus, or Wiccans or anyone of any other faith or belief system is going to Hell because they were not Christians. For that fact, I don't believe in Hell. I don't believe in an eternal heaven, either. I don't believe that I can only talk to God through Christ. I don't believe there were dinosaurs on Noah's Ark. And I REALLY don't believe that three quarters of the people in this country believe as deeply as they do in something that for me raises way more questions than it poses answers to.
Here's what I do believe: I believe in a kind and loving God. I believe that throughout the centuries man has lived on this planet, God has sent many messengers to Earth for the purpose of bringing all humanity to Him. I believe that there is nothing, let me repeat, nothing any of us can do to separate ourselves from God's love. I believe that homosexuality is a human condition, not a condemnable sin. I believe that organized religion has been hijacked by the religious right. I believe the Bible contains some wonderful stories, but I also believe it has been raped by those who were entrusted with preserving it (ie. organized religion). I believe that the life I am now living is only a stop on my spiritual journey... I've lived other lives, learned many lessons, and will live again to continue my learning. I believe in a heaven where I will be together with all of my loved ones who have gone before me, where I will wait for the rest of my loved ones to join me, and where I will rest happily until it is my time to live again. I believe that all dogs go to heaven (cats, birds and pet mice, too). I believe in drinking, dancing and having a good time. To that end, I believe life was meant to be enjoyed.
In "The Runaway Bunny", by Margaret Wise Brown, with pictures (who some people apparently feel free to alter in Photoshop... the nerve!) by Clement Hurd, is a story about a little bunny and his mother. The bunny decides that he is going to run away, and no matter where he plans to go, how he plans to get there, who he plans to be once he's gone, Momma Bunny is going to be there, by his side, loving him all the while. That, in a nutshell, all the other stuff aside, is how I feel about our relationship with God. His love is the ultimate love. No matter where we go, no matter the path we take, no matter who we are, He loves us. Nothing we do will separate us from Him. That is why we call Him "Father". Thus... The Most Blessed Sacrament of the Holy Church of the Runaway Bunny.
Are you in search of a church home? Does TMBSHCRB sound like it might be the place for you?? Applications are currently being accepted. There is one requirement for membership, however: Follow the "Golden Rule" (Moses, Muhammed, the Mahabharata, Christ and Confucious all taught the same basic tenet). Be a good person; be kind to others and to our planet. God will love you anyway, but it will make it a lot easier for the rest of us to tolerate you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home