Saturday, January 13, 2007

blowing off steam...

My letter to ticketschool.com:

I recently selected your company for my son's Drug and Alcohol course, which as you know, is required by the State of Florida before he can apply for his Learner's Permit.

My son worked diligently away at his course. He would ask occasional questions when he needed clarification on something, so I checked in with him every now-and-again to see how things were progressing. Imagine my shock when he called to me from the other room inquiring, "Mom... what are the advantages of using drugs?"

Not wanting to jump to conclusions, but clearly surprised by his question, I went to see in what context this query was being asked. To find out that he was expected to list "10 advantages of using drugs" absolutely FLOORED me. As blown away as I was by the question, I was even more irritated to see the next part of the testing--answers others had submitted to that question.

Here is a sampling (direct quotes) of the *many advantages* of using drugs listed through your course: "You can be accepted by people you like.", "You can make money selling drugs.", "You can try something different and exciting.", "Your sexual experience can be enhanced.", "Using drugs can be a way to “get back” at your parents/authority figures.".

What possible purpose does this exercise serve? I've worked long and hard to get it through my just-turned-fifteen-year-old's head that there ARE no advantages to using drugs. His concerns about this question at least let me know my message was received. I will not be recommending your course to others for several reasons, this one chief among them.

Perhaps the time your students devote to coming up with 10 advantages to using drugs could be better served by requiring them to spend 10 minutes perusing "Faces of Meth" at drugfree.org or watching some of the videos at checkyourself.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home