Wednesday, May 07, 2008

my how they grow...


I was at the hospital today for some routine tests, and directly across from me in the waiting area sat a brand new momma and her four-weeks-old-tomorrow baby girl.

I watched with awe as that precious little bundle worked away on her pacifier. Her features were so perfect... and so tiny. While I was studying her, she was intently memorizing every inch of her young mommy's face, and her little hand was molding itself around mom's pointer finger.

Did that take me back.

I truly remember holding my brand new baby boy like it was yesterday. I loved the way the side of his little head fit perfectly against my chest, with his head nestled snugly under my chin. In fact, I'm pretty sure he spent the better part of his early childhood in that position. I loved the way he smelled. I loved the way he looked at me. I loved the way he would hold my pointer finger just like the beautiful little baby across from me was doing to her momma.

Fast-forward sixteen years, and here I am now, sitting in the passenger seat while he drives us onto 295 and over the Buckman Bridge. Yesterday I waited while he got his braces taken off--for the second time. This Friday night I'll sit proudly in the audience while he makes his improv debut at a local nightclub. Monday I'll ride with him to his first class of the Summer A session at our local community college where he is a dual enrollment student. I'll listen intently at some point soon when he tells me the latest information he's found out about joining the Marine Corps. It's all part of the bittersweet moments of being a mom. They don't stay in your arms forever.

Just your heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home