Friday, May 02, 2008

kohl's hates the environment.



OK, not really. But I have your attention now, right?

My efforts to live a greener life have definitely changed my way of thinking about certain things. One of these "things" is trying to eliminate plastic shopping bags from my world. While I have surprised more than one clerk with my request to not use a shopping bag for my purchases(eventually I will remember to actually take my reusable bags into the store with me when I shop!), I have never had one flat out refuse me. Until today.

Collin and I were out running errands, and one of our tasks was to find him some sleep shorts and a lightweight blanket for his bed. We headed to our fancy new Kohl's to see what we could find, and a bit later we headed for checkout with two pairs of jersey shorts and a microfleece blanket (already conveniently packaged in a plastic bag).

As I paid for our items, I told the clerk I wouldn't need a bag. She looked at me like I was nuts, and then informed me that she had to put my items in a bag. I questioned this by saying, "I have to take a bag, even though I don't want one?" She again informed me that I did.

Keep in mind... at this point I am standing less than twenty feet away from the exit. I have a receipt in my hand. While she agrees to sticker the blanket, I have to take the shorts in a bag. I relent and leave the store.

If you've ever been to a Kohl's store, you know they have two entrances. We had parked near one entrance and exited via the other. While we walked back to the car, I found myself getting more and more irritated that I had to take a plastic bag. Instead of continuing to the car, I walked back in the other side of the store.

I asked the clerk if I could talk to a manager. She was already waiting on a call from the manager for an issue at her register (that's a whole other post!). The phone rang and she proceeded to describe Situation #1 to the manager. She added before hanging up that there was a lady there who wanted to see her. I offered an explanation, saying I wanted to speak with her about why I had to take a plastic bag when I didn't want one. Situation #2 was relayed to the manager thusly: "She wants to know why she can't have a plastic bag anytime she wants one."

I kid you not, I had to re-state my complaint three times before it was translated properly to the bodiless manager.

She responded that I shouldn't have to take a bag if I didn't want one but that this was something she'd have to research. The clerk I was talking to told the manager this was an issue that needed to be addressed staff-wide, because she had previously helped customers who didn't want bags either. I am supposed to check with the manager on duty next time I go in to see what the final verdict is.

For anyone who thinks I made a mountain out of a molehill, here's my take on what went down. I was not at Dillards or Sears, or any other type of store where I might make a purchase and continue to walk around the shop. I was going to pay for my stuff and walk directly to the exit. I even asked if I could put the shorts in the zippered bag the blanket came in. No. I had to take a Kohl's bag. They don't sell Kohl's reusable shopping bags, so I couldn't purchase one of those to put the shorts in.

To the clerk's benefit, she saw this as a security issue. Loss Prevention officers might not know that I had actually paid for the items I was leaving the store with. If I choose not to take a bag, and a security guard approaches me about exiting their store with merchandise in my hands, I am going to be more than happy to show said guard my receipt and cooperate with whatever they feel they need to do (within reason, of course) to feel comfortable with the fact that I am not trying to rob them blind.

Anywho... for a company on the EPA's list of Top 10 Retail Partners in the Green Power Partnership (they're ranked at a VERY impressive #5), I was more than surprised by this incident. I'll definitely be checking back in with the management to see what the official stance is.

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home