Thursday, July 06, 2006

he's leaving on a jet plane...


I put my baby on a plane headed north this morning. I also just bit my tongue, as it was implanted securely in my cheek while I used the word "baby". He's been taller than me for over a year now, shaves on a regular basis and is getting smarter every day. It won't be long before I lose my ability to amaze him with useless knowledge.

I've been making this same trip for years now. After packing every piece of clothing my son can call his own into two wheeled-duffel bags bedecked in "Champion" logos, we head to Jacksonville International Airport, search desperately for a parking spot that is not closer to DAYTONA International Airport (and those little red light/green light things above the parking spaces ALWAYS make a fool of me... there are either empty spaces that have the red light illuminated, or a series of spaces showing green that are actually occupied. It's a conspiracy, I'm convinced. Parking spaces and the moon landing. Remain vigilant!), and then race to the Delta/Continental/JetBlue counter only to wait and wait for someone to help us check in. Here's where today was different, though...

My son is no longer considered an "unaccompanied minor". Not by JetBlue, at least. This left me with mixed feelings... there was no $50 Unaccompanied Minor fee to pay (yay!). My little boy is growing up (boo!). You would think that meant it was easier for me to see him off this time, right? Wrong. I still bawled like a little girl. I did, however, manage to delay my tears until he was safely out of sight and onboard. He may be getting older, but he still shouldn't see his momma cry. (Seriously, do you EVER get old enough to see your mom cry without it having an effect on you? If the answer is "yes", it has to be WAY past 35, because I can't stand to watch my mother even tear up!)

Anywho... he's gone. Collin won't be back until the 7th of August. Some days that will seem like an eternity... others it will seem like forever. The good news is I know he will have a great time while he's up there. The better news is I know he's already looking forward to coming home.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max was so down yesterday. He's already asking how many days until your son returns.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, darling. We've missed walking. We've missed going out. And you aren't blogging!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home