Tuesday, July 01, 2008

dear vitacost.com...


I purchase Burt's Bees products for many reasons, but chief among them is the fact that they package in glass or 80%+ post-consumer recylced plastics. I was extremely disheartened to see three of my Burt's Bees products packaged for shipping in an excessive amount of plastic bubble wrap, of course defeating my efforts to reduce my plastic use. Most disturbing is the fact that BOTH bottles of toner I purchased, though packaged separately, arrived with broken lids and had leaked inside the plastic bubble bags. That means this huge amount of plastic waste didn't even do the job you were intending it to do!

For a company who specializes in alternative health care and natural products, it would seem you would institute more sustainable practices in your shipping. I, as well as many others, I'm sure, would be willing to pay an additional charge to have my purchases shipped with natural or bio-degradable packing supplies. I hope this is something you will take under immediate consideration.

I contacted Customer Service already regarding the broken caps on my toner bottles, and the representative I spoke with indicated she would have two replacement bottles sent out in the morning. I'm sure they'll come swathed in plastic, but I hope the day will come soon when my natural products will arrive in natural packaging.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Christina Something Something

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I am the customer service director here at Vitacost.com. I truly am sorry about the leaking products that arrived in your order. Please give us a call and we will address it ASAP for you. As far as the recycling, all the plastic we use is recylable, and we recycle all of our cardboard, totalling approx 170 tons per year.
Please give us a call so we can check your order problems.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 7:12:00 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I find it very interesting that somehow you found this random posting on my blog (through some kind of super-fancy web stalker software, no doubt..), BUT I have yet to receive any response from the exact same email I sent your company through YOUR website. I did receive my replacement bottles of toner (Thank you!), but you totally missed my point about your packaging. Why use such excessive amounts of bubble wrap (which is NOT recyclable where I live) to protect your products, when it clearly doesn't do the job? I applaud the recycling your company does, but I would prefer to see you going that extra step. Three of the bottles in my order were in a completely unnecessary plastic bag, in addition to the bubble wrap surrounding the other bottles in my shipment. Just food for thought...

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home